About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, March 17, 2014

Don't hide your Green!

(photo credit: coolchaser.com)

Back in the day, the number one priority on March 17 was to wear green that was subtly hidden amongst other dominant colors.  Everyone knew that if you had the misfortune of forgetting to wear green on St. Patrick ’s Day, you were going to be pinched all day long.  But in my elementary school (seriously back in the day), there was another rule: if someone pinched you and you were wearing green, you got to pinch them back.  As a result, we strategically avoided the blatantly kelly green shirt, opting for a deep forest green pinstripe that was barely visible on the orange background.

That was back in the day.  All that pinching now would result in a charge of bullying and somebody’s getting a suspension.

Back in the day when I was a pastor (not as far back), one of our youth group’s high school students came to church on Wednesday evening on St. Paddy’s wearing a green t-shirt that said, “Kiss me. I’m Irish.”  I enveloped him in a bear hug and planted a big ol’ sloppy one on his cheek right in front of God and a fellowship hall full of church members eating supper.  Everyone got a big laugh.  I had the kind of relationship with that young man that I knew I could get away with it.  We are friends to this day (although I’m pretty sure he burned that shirt when he got home).

I grew up in a town whose school colors were green and white.  I have lived for most of my adult life in a town whose school colors are the same.  Folks in these towns wear their green proudly many days of the year, and on those Friday nights in the fall it is almost expected.  Pinching, of course is likely to result in either a fistfight or a date, so it is not encouraged.

Some of you have gotten this far and are wondering, “Is he ever going to make a point?” I often wonder that myself as I wander through these weekly compositions.  My point is this: don’t hide your loyalty.  When you think of St. Patrick, what comes to mind?  Green!  Unfortunately, it may be limited to shamrocks, green beer, the Emerald Isle, and pinching.  We don’t often give much thought to the 5th century missionary known as “The Apostle of Ireland”.

(photo credit: episcopalnet.org)

Though none of us are likely to ever have a day set aside in our honor, we are all noticed by someone.  Someone is watching to see where our loyalties lie.  Someone is noticing the consistency (or lack thereof) of our lifestyle.  Here’s a great question: how can we wear our faith “colors” as proudly as we wear those school colors?

Jesus said it this way, “In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.” (Matthew 5:16, New Living Translation)


Every day is Jesus day. Don’t hide your colors.


Question: When you think of wearing your "faith colors" what does that look like to you?

Leave a comment.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment