About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, February 24, 2014

I sing because it matters.

(photo credit: Wise Choices Gala 2012)

Music has always been a big part of my life.  I sang my first solo in church at the age of 3, almost 30 years ago.  Oh, wait.  Did I say 30?  Ok, almost 50 years ago.  Honesty and integrity can be tough taskmasters!

Music, in general, and singing, in particular, have been constant throughout my life’s journey.  No matter what else gets added, or even moves to the forefront, I’m still a singer.  I don’t make my living at it, but it is one of those words that make the short list of what I consider to be descriptors of my identity.

In the past few years, I find myself singing much more often for causes.  Just this past weekend, I sang for two different fundraiser events that are causes that are close to my heart.  For the third consecutive year, I emceed the fundraiser gala for the Pregnancy Resource Center of Bowie.  This year, I was also given the opportunity to provide musical entertainment during seating and dinner.  I sang for an hour and a half and, hopefully, helped people enjoy dinner and put them in the mood to give generously to this life changing ministry.  

The very next night, I did a fundraiser concert at the First Baptist Church of Paradise to raise money for church members to go on mission trips to Mexico, Brazil, and Costa Rica. This is the second time I've done this at FBCP and I love it so much that I would be willing to do it at any church to help them raise money for missions.

My next “singing for a cause” event will be on Thursday, March 6 at 7:00 p.m. and you are invited.  I am partnering with my friends at the First Baptist Church in Decatur to host the Singing Men of North Central Texas in a free concert. I’ve been singing with this awesome men’s choir for 5 years and I promise you won’t be disappointed.  While it is not a fundraiser per se, there will be an offering received that will go toward our next planned mission trip to Ukraine in April, 2015.  If you’ve been watching the news lately you know what a strategic place in the world that is.  Please consider this a personal invitation to my readers to be my special guests at this concert.

Those are just a few examples of “singing for a cause” but there is a greater cause that keeps me singing.  I sing because my life matters to God.  I sing because He gave me the gift of music and continues daily putting a renewed song of praise in my heart and mouth. (Take a look at Psalm 33:3, 40:3, 96:1, 98:1, 144:9, 149:1)

What do you do in acknowledgement that your life matters to God?  What are the words that describe your identity?  You don’t have to be a singer.  Be the “you” God created.

And be that “you” because it matters.

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear how you express your "you".


No comments:

Post a Comment